Norwood High School

Class of '65

 

What is the latest news on building a new high school?

Should they keep the old façade?

Please keep us informed.

 

Read entries below !

From:                   

Are you a member of the Norwood High School Class of 65 ?  Y/N

Comments:

                      

Anti-Spam Question:

What year did the Class of 65 graduate? (use 4 numerals) 

 

        Read entries below !

After you submit your comments, you will need to reload this page with your browser in order to see your additions to the log.  (Click on the "Refresh" button or hit the F5 key.)


PLEASE HIT THE "F5" KEY TO SEE YOUR LATEST ENTRY !!!!!!!!!




1965

January 29, 2010


Fran McIntosh
Y
1965

November 28, 2008

One reason for my access to this website is the fact I found out at Thanksgiving they are tearing down "The school on the hill"..and that was pretty darn upsetting to me....would love to have a get together at the school prior to this awful thing from happening....Fran McIntosh....


July 07, 2008

Smaller group to oversee Norwood high school construction -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- By Brian Falla/Daily News staff GHS Posted Jul 07, 2008 @ 11:37 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NORWOOD — The School Facilities Task Force last night officially handed over the reins for day-to-day decisions on the proposed new high school. The 21-member task force, formed by Town Meeting in 2004 to study the high school's shortcomings, last night unanimously approved the composition of a 12-member working group that will act as the town's adviser. Chairman Tom McQuaid said the task force will remain in existence and get regular updates from the working group. Project Manager Tim Bonfatti said the town needed a smaller group, which was partially defined in the Massachusetts School Building Authority reimbursement regulations, that could meet weekly and make decisions on design and construction. "In order to work best, the group really needs the level of authority to make key decisions," said Bonfatti. A working group has been in existence since the town's collaboration with the authority began in November with a feasibility study on the high school. Although certain members of the group related to specific positions in town were defined by the regulations, the actual membership is not. Last night, task force member Peter McFarland outlined a plan for a 12-member working group, all of whom would have full voting rights. The task force unanimously endorsed the proposal. The group will consist of: General Manager John Carroll, Town Clerk and Accountant Bob Thornton, Interim Superintendent of Schools John Moretti, High School Principal George Usevich, and School Buildings and Grounds Director Joe McDonough. The School Committee and Permanent Building Construction Committee will also elect or appoint two members to the committee and the Finance Commission and Board of Selectmen one each. The task force will also be able to elect or appoint a member. The building authority has agreed with the task force's 2006 recommendation to Town Meeting that the town needs a new high school, but the process is moving down parallel courses. Architects are drawing up preliminary designs for the school, which would be built behind the existing one on Nichols Street. Officials hoped to have a preliminary design and cost estimates completed by the fall for submission to the building authority for approval. But the town and building authority are also considering participating in a Model School Program in which the town will build a school that has already been designed and constructed in a different community. Selectmen last week told the building authority they are interested in learning more about the program, and Chairman Mike Lyons said last night, he hopes a meeting will be set up soon. "We're looking at (the authority) to come back with some answers," said Lyons. Brian Falla can be reached at 781-433-8339 or bfalla@cnc.com.


August 17, 2005

What ever method, school upgrades remain expensive By Brian Falla / Daily News Staff Wednesday, August 17, 2005 NORWOOD -- The number of options for upgrading the high school has grown, but projected costs remain the same. Symmes Maini & McKee Associates presented the School Facilities Task Force this week with three more options, including a full tear-down of the existing high school that some hoped could save the town money. But the firm told the committee Monday that because of grading issues on the site, a full tear-down would likely still fall within the $70 million to $80 million range, similar to seven other variations. The committee now will go back to the drawing board, reconvening the Education Specification Subcommittee that will re-examine the school's needs with an eye toward trying to trim costs. The committee also agreed to take the next week to study all eight options with the goal of making some cuts and getting down to three or four plans that can be studied in greater detail. "We're going to sit down and try to narrow the options and come up with a hierarchy of what's really important and what we really need," said committee co-Chairman Jerry Kelleher. "We seem to be adding options when we need to be subtracting," said committee member Bill Plasko Jr. "I think if we can get down to three or maybe four projects that we can get our arms around, we'll be back on track." Plasko said the problem with current estimates is that they are based on things like the cost of relocating students during construction and other contingencies that vary greatly from one option to the next. By focusing on a few choices, Plasko said it may be possible to save money without touching the school at all. Plasko also believes the committee already defined the need when it approved the education specifications last month. The price tag should not be the determining factor on which project ultimately is brought to voters, he said. "People's comfort level with this project should be based on the need, not finances," said Plasko. Committee member Alan Slater agreed that more due diligence was needed before the committee can bring any project to voters. "My view is we have to bring forward a project that meets the education goals of the system and takes care of the accreditation issues raised by NEASC," said committee member Alan Slater. "At the same time, we have to...see where we can reasonably reduce costs." The high school has been placed on warning status by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, threatening the school's accreditation. The 21-member committee is charged with finding a solution to the facility needs at the school.
 


Author information goes here.
Copyright © 1965 by The Class Of 65.    All rights reserved.
Revised: June 13, 1965.